These Vanilla Nut Snack Squares are sweet ‘n salty, simple and wholesome. They are packed with flavour, but at the same time they are grain-free and do not contain a trace of refined sugar. Not only are they healthier than store bought “healthy” snack bars, they are also much cheaper. They can be stored in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for up to 3 weeks… so snack on!
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Line an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper with enough overhang on the sides to easily remove the bars from the pan. Set aside.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix the honey or agave, vanilla, ground almonds, salt and peanut butter together until combined. Fold in the almonds, chopped dates, sunflower seeds until combined.
- Transfer mixture to baking tray and press firmly into an even layer. You really want it packed in tight. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for about an hour.
- Transfer to a the fridge to chill and harden for another hour. This helps firm up the bars and keep them compact. Remove bars from the pan using the overhang on the sides and cut into squares. Store at room temp for a week or in the fridge for 2.
- 80g Honey or agave
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30g Ground almonds
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoon of peanut butter
- 187g Roughly chopped whole almonds, hazelnuts, cashews and or walnuts
- 5 Dates, coarsely chopped
- 105g Sunflower seeds
This recipe can be swapped around depending on your taste. You can add raisins or dried cranberry instead of dates or leave them out completely. You can also swap the sunflower seeds and almonds out for peanuts and pumpkin seeds etc.