Ratatouille, which comes in an endless array of forms, thrives off of fresh summer ingredients—namely peppers, courgettes, fresh tomatoes and aubergines . This recipe of Saucy Tomato Ratatouille with Chicken is a dish we batch cook at the start of the week and then grab on evenings when we are both out at training until late and don’t have the energy to cook when we get in late. Its a healthy, carb free, dairy free, gluten free dish that is satisfying and delicious while also being healthy and low in fat.
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 1 Red Onion – chopped into segments
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon picked fresh thyme leaves
- 5 halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 courgette, cut in 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 Peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 can chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Freshly grated Parmesan for serving
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until lightly smoking. Add chicken and cook without moving until well browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Flip and brown second side, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add additional tablespoon of oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook until begin to soften and color, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the courgette and peppers and toss to combine with the onions. Add the tomatoes and stock and stir to combine. Nestle the chicken pieces into the sauce and adjust the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken has finished cooking through, 15 to 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, transfer to serving platter, sprinkle with basil and grated parmesan, and serve.
- Remove from the oven, and once cool, chips can be stored in an airtight container.