Shakshouka is a vegetarian Middle Eastern dish of eggs poached or fryed in a sauce of tomatoes, chilli and onions sauce and spiced with cumin. This Green Shakshouka is a hipster (kale-ified) version of the classic Moroccan dish.
- 3 Spring Onions
- 1/2 Leek – Sliced
- Lots of Green Vegetables (450g) -Grated Courgettes, Mangetout, Asparagus
- 1/4 Tbsp of Ground Cumin
- 1/4 Tbsp of Chilli Powder
- Handful of Leafy Greens – Spinich or Kale
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 3 Tbsp of Green Pesto
- 2-3 Eggs
- Put a drop of the oil of your preference on a pan sitting on a medium to high heat.
- Add the onions, leeks, spring onions, cumin and the rest of the green vegtables to the pan.
- Saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chilli, lemon juice and leafy greens.
- Season with Salt and Pepper and blob in the pesto.
- Create 2-3 divots in the greens and crack in your eggs, one by one. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a plate or a lid. Allow to cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve as is or with a sprinkle of whatever cheese you have in the fridge on top.