Why is food served in its own edible vessel so special? Think about it, ice cream cones, cupcakes, fajitas, cocktails served in pineapples!! These Baked Eggs in Stuffed Peppers are just divine and a great breakfast or dinner vegetarian option! Sweet yellow, green or red bell peppers cradling a rich tomato passata with sweet potato hash topped with cheese and a sunny side up egg.
- 6 Eggs
- 1/4 Tbsp of Salt
- 3 Bell Pepper
- 2 Cloves of Garlice
- 1 Onion- finely chopped
- 1 Small Butternut Squash- peeled and diced into cubes
- 1 Tsp of Dried Thyme
- Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1 Tbsp of Ground Pepper
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1/2 a Small Jar of Passata
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grab a pre-lined baking sheets and place it into the oven to heat up
- Cut the peppers in half and remove ribs and seeds. Place the peppers cut side up in shallow microwave safe bowl or dish. Add ⅓ cup water to bowl. Sprinkle peppers with kosher salt and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat large pan over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the passata sauce and then add the butternut squash, thyme and salt and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until squash has softened and is easily pierced with a fork. Keep warm add the Feta cheese. Taste and season with more salt if desired.
- Place peppers cut side up on the pre heated baking pan. Pour a tbsp of of the butternut squash mixture into each pepper, ensuring that there is a small hollow for egg. Then crack an egg into the hollow of the pepper, taking care not to overflow the pepper.
- Bake the stuffed peppers for 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked. Remove from oven.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve each pepper with extra feta cheese if desired.